WhatsApp addresses huge lack of timed messages
WhatsApp has introduced the ‘default’ option to the timed messages feature, which allows the chat to be automatically deleted after a certain period of time.
The beloved instant messaging app WhatsApp introduced privacy-oriented messages last year. In one-to-one chats and groups, it allowed messages to be permanently deleted from both the recipient and the sender. According to WhatsApp users, timed messages had a significant drawback; it had to be activated manually every time. The platform operating within Meta has revised this feature in line with feedback.
WhatsApp timed messages can be made default
With the update to WhatsApp’s mobile app, it was possible to make timed messages default, which should be activated manually in advance. The company thus allowed users to automatically activate timed messages each time a new chat was launched. When the feature is activated, messages will be deleted automatically after 24 hours, 7 days or 90 days.
To open timed messages by default, follow these steps:
- Enter whatsApp settings.
- Open the Account > Privacy section.
- In the Default message duration section, choose 24 hours, 7 days, or 90 days.
All new messages will now be automatically deleted at the end of the specified period. According to WhatsApp, timed messages can only be made by default in individual chats, while in groups they need to be activated manually as before.
Also, when you default to timed messages, existing messages are not affected by this preference. For example, a chat where the feature isn’t turned on doesn’t fall within the scope of timed messages and isn’t automatically deleted, even if you make the default. Therefore, it is worth noting that it only applies to new negotiations.
Things to remember for timed messages
WhatsApp has issued the following warnings to users with the information it shares on its website:
- If a user doesn’t open WhatsApp within a 24-hour, 7-day, or 90-day period, the relevant message disappears from the chat. However, the message’s preview may still appear in notifications until WhatsApp opens.
- When you reply to a message, the replied message is quoted. When you reply to a timed message, the quoted text may still remain in the chat after the time you selected has expired.
- Timed messages that are forwarded to a chat where timed messages are disabled are not lost from the chat they are forwarded to.
- If users create a backup before the message disappears, the timed message is included in the backup. Timed messages are deleted when users restore the backup.